John Young Trio - Touch of Pepper - Argo LP 713 (OOP Japan Mini LP CD)
John Young - Piano
Sam Kidd - Bass
Phil Thomas - Drums
Recorded - November 29 & December 4, 1962, Ter Mar Recording Studio, Chicago
Engineer: Ron Malo
Supervision: Esmond Edwards
Cover Photo: Don Bronstein
Released: September 21, 1963 (per Billboard)
Well, I'm already violating one of this blog's mission statements by posting an Argo side that did in fact make it to CD - albeit on a really hard to find expensive Japan only mini LP CD that may already have gone OOP. Acquired this side as a a slightly used CD copy instead of going my usual vinyl route. But I'm going to make this posting a one time only exception for my main man, John Young eg. Argo's third and unfairly forgotten pianist/leader. Young passed away last year in Chicago fairly unnoticed, and that's a shame because he really deserved some recognition and appreciation. Consider him one of Argo's unsung heroes.
This is his third and last date on Argo recorded late in 1962 and forms a perfect companion piece to my earlier Young posting. See that posting on why I now dig Young, and the rationale for my Argo/Cadet fixation. A solid, professional, smooth date - perfect for your holiday dinner parties, relaxing with your friends and family this week.

Another new artist to me via your blog,I hadn`t heard of John Young before your previous post. Great idea exploring Argo/Chess.Thanks for sharing and have a GREAT Christmas.
ReplyDeletethank you for the rare opportunity to listen to a pianist never heard before.
ReplyDeletethanks for the john young trio / a touch of pepper. I have downloaded twice, track 1 is missing, thanks again!!!
ReplyDeletethat's strange, try again, I've uploaded a new copy
ReplyDeleteI have downloaded this album twice also and track 1 is missing also.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for posting these rare John Young sides. I prefer his work (what little I've heard) to Ramsey's, and it's a pleasure to have it all collected here. Your efforts are much appreciated!
ReplyDeletejohn young trio a touch of...
ReplyDeletethank you...this pianist is totally new to me !
new to me as well, thanks so much!
ReplyDeletemerci
ReplyDeletehttp://min.us/mXYzUL7B3
ReplyDeletemP3: http://www.mediafire.com/?mwmgliymyh5
ReplyDelete