Milt Buckner - Midnight Mood - Argo LP 702 (Original Argo Pressing, Grey Label, Mono)
[Updated version - a return to the Argo/blog archives again with a new restored lossless rip of this idiosyncratic Milt Buckner side]
Milt Buckner - Organ
Johnny Pate - Bass
Maurice Sinclaire - Drums
Recorded: ? [not listed on the sleeve; but reportedly April 3 1961, Chicago according to a Buckner discography]
Engineer: Ron Malo
Supervision: Jack Tracy
Cover: Bon [sic; Don?] Brownstein
Released: November 10, 1962
Just posting my final Argo Buckner side for completist and posterity's sake. Don't have much to say here. It's a trio date no horns date. The liner notes by a Ralph Bass describes this side as 'music for early listening, [and] music for late listening' - an entirely apt description.
I continue on with my vacation so I'll have loads of downtime to listen to this album. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteMan! What a find - Sun Ship and three from uncle Milty that I didn't have. These are really hard to find! Thanks a ton. This Midnight Mood LP may be subtle but I think he's way too expressive here to call it subdued. You have to listen closely and you can hear some pretty intense stuff he's doing here. Milt Buckner was an incredible artist and keyboard technician. He was a real hipster who went around looking like an accountant. I've never heard anything with his name on it that wasn't excellent jazz. Can't thank you enough for these three Milt Buckners! Keep the Argo and Cadet coming!
ReplyDeleteThese Milt Buckners are wonderful to have. Such generosity of spirit on your part! Many thanks indeed.
ReplyDeleteListening to this during the afternoon I couldn't but smile. I cannot imagine this would ever be made today. Like Jimmy Smith had never existed, but hypnotically enticing.
ReplyDeletemerci
ReplyDeleteMilt Buckner - Midnight Mood
ReplyDeleteThanks for this third and final Milt Buckner installment. It is different from the previous ones in that it doesn't have any horn or guitar, but I must say that I like it a lot. I agree with 2bad above that Buckner's playing is too expressive and intense for this to be just a subdued mood album. He sounds very inspired. If Argo had a soothing mood album in mind, this is not quite it, and that may be why it lay in the can for one and a half years before being released. Unusually short liner notes too. But make no mistake, this is a good one.
Once again there were additional unissued tracks from this session: My Ideal and Money Honey. A proper CD reissue could include them - unless they too were victims of the disastrous Universal fire some years ago.
www.packupload.com/6LYTWK3NVMA
ReplyDeletehttp://minus.com/mC9hUWjkv
Thank you very much!
ReplyDelete