Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gildo Mahones - The Great Gildo/Soulful Piano




Gildo Mahones - The Great Gildo/Soulful Piano - Prestige PR 7339 - Original Prestige Pressing, 2 LP set, Blue Trident Label, Stereo

Gildo Mahones - Piano
George Tucker - Bass
Jimmie Smith - Drums
Sonny Brown - Drums
Larry Young - Organ
Leo Wright - Alto Sax
Kenny Burrell - Guitar

Recorded - [not listed on sleeve, but according to major Prestige discographies, February 4, 1963, August 15 1963, September 3, 1963, June 4, 1964, Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ]

Supervision - Ozzie Cadena
Recording - Rudy Van Gelder
Cover Design/Photo - Don Schlitten

Released - 1965?

Back again with a monster Prestige Soul Jazz rarity - Gildo Mahones' 2 LP set "The Great Gildo/Soulful Piano"! This is a rather pleasant and wonderful side from a great player who never got that many opportunities to record as a leader, spending much of his career as a sideman for the Lambert, Hendricks & Ross vocal group and Lorez Alexandria. Mostly good fidelity with some occasional unavoidable surface noise and slight pops from the original and rather worn difficult to find gatefold 2 LP Prestige vinyl.

Get it

9 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot, I was searching for this one for a while !!
    Christophe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a unique post. Gildo is really a fine pianist and it is very good that you are posting his work on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is TOTALLY new to me!Looking forward to it.Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a double hit on my watch-out-for-list
    impressive guest performers
    a way thank too much
    sunbop

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you very much for this gem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a thousand times - I thought I would never ever get to hear this extremely rare item!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for this--when I saw this around years ago, I didn't know who he was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post and wonderful music. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete