Budd Johnson - Ya! Ya! - Argo LP 736 - Argo Original Pressing, Grey Label, Mono
[Updated version - another dip in the Blog archives with an Argo gem by the great tenor man Budd Johnson! Nice lossless rip with some surface noise as original mono vinyl was in rough shape]
Budd Johnson - Tenor Sax
Al Williams - Organ
Richard Davis - Bass (A3, A4, B1, B4, B5)
George Duvivier - Bass (A1, A2, B2, B3)
Belton Evans - Drums
Recorded: January 20 & 21, 1964, Sound Makers Studio, NYC
Supervision: Esmond Edwards
Cover Photo: Esmond Edwards
Cover Design: Don Bronstein
Released: June 13, 1964
This is a long lost forgotten Argo side by the jazz legend/long time 'behind the scenes' player tenor sax man Budd Johnson. There's been some confusion as this is the original 'Ya! Ya!', not this Ya!-Ya!, another completely different 1970 side from a French Label that is readily available. This Ya! Ya! has not been seen in any form since its first issue in 1964. I love Johnson's big band tenor sound, it really drives a nice soul jazz groove. Nice fidelity again.
off the wall and french cookin' are fantastic
ReplyDeletegood gracious but this is YA! YA!
I keep coming back here to graze through your posts and I`m grateful for the opportunity to hear all this impossible to get stuff.Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMany Thanks. Argo certainly put out some Great LPs. Far more than I ever realised.
ReplyDeleteBest Regards, Brian
Thank you! Everything on this blog is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great addition to my collection of Budd Johnsson recordings. Great playing on his part.
ReplyDeletemerci
ReplyDeletehttp://www.packupload.com/7JP8CZTW8HB
ReplyDeletehttp://minus.com/mBGio4nsw
Another nice sound upgrade - thnx
ReplyDeleteOtis
Your blog is so awesome -- I never would've known about all the wealth of musical gold waxed on amazing labels like Argo and Prestige if it hadn't been for you. Just the Ahmad Jamal stuff has changed my life of the better -- and I have really needed a lift these last few years. Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sun Ship,very groovy.
ReplyDelete