Sunday, May 20, 2012

Frank Foster - Basie is Our Boss [New Rip: From the Archives]



Frank Foster - Basie is Our Boss - Argo LP 717 - Argo Original Pressing, Grey Label, Mono

[Updated version - more fantastic stuff from Argo - a new lossless rip]

Frank Foster - Tenor Saxophone
Eric Dixon - Flute & Tenor Saxophone
Al Aarons - Trumpet
John Young - Piano
Buddy Catlett - Bass
Phil Thomas - Drums

Recorded - February 18 & 20 1963, RCA Studios, Chicago

Engineer: Ron Steele
Supervision: Esmond Edwards
Cover Design: Don Bronstein
Cover Photo: Esmond Edwards

Released - 1963?

Well, I don't say this too often, but this is a great, great record; a very swingin', soulful, and I dare say slightly modal side from the great sax man Frank Foster, long time sideman and musical director of the Count Basie organization. This side was cut during one of Foster's hiatuses from Basie, and serves as a bit of one off project on Argo. Foster has assembled a very competent and skillful support crew, mostly former and then current Basie sideman (which accounts for the title of the LP: "Basie is Our Boss...) but he is also supported by a great favorite of this blog; the unheralded John Young on piano. Unusually for an Argo side, there are only 6 tracks on this LP, as Foster & company are given a rare opportunity to stretch out and tackle the material.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck here. A friend told me about your blog. Grabbed a couple and I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the great shares. Any possibility of lossless uploads and/or legible scans of the LP backs would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunship:
    You are doing a great job.I have an original
    Argo Lp of Al Grey also a British Al Grey on
    the Pye label from Argo.I wonder why Universal
    is loth to release Argo/Cadet items?
    Best regards--Jazzbro(U.K.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for this rather unusual Frank Foster side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Blog. Thank you for these rarities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't visited in a while and look at all this great music I have been missing! This looks like it should be a rare priviledge to hear for sure. Frank Foster never misses the mark and who has ever had a chance to hear this recording? Thanks for all this great music you have managed to rescue and share with the unsuspecting world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.packupload.com/2P8ZIHZVAYZ
    http://minus.com/mbqVNESvfd

    ReplyDelete