Willis Jackson - Star Bag - Prestige PR 7571 - Fantasy Pressing, Green Label, Stereo
Willis Jackson - Tenor Sax
Trudy Pitts - Organ
Wild Bill Jennings - Guitar
Jimmy Lewis - Fender Bass
Bobby Donaldson - Drums
Victor Allende - Conga Drums
Recorded : [not listed on sleeve, but according to major Prestige discographies - March 22, 1968, Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ]
Produced by Cal Lampley
Recording : Rudy Van Gelder
Cover Design: Don Schlitten
Cover Art: Irving Riggs
Released - 1969?
Back again with another Prestige Soul Jazz goodie - this time Willis 'Gator' Jackson's "Star Bag" ! I was never a big fan of the Prestige Tenor Sax heavy Soul Jazz sides, as I thought they were a bit too close to R&B, but I've changed my mind recently: this is good stuff! Gator is supringsingly very understated on this side , not so overtly funky, with some great support from the recently departed Trudy Pitts on organ, and Bill Jennings on guitar. Another buried treasure, so far unreleased on CD. Solid fidelity off an early 70s green label Fantasy reissue stereo vinyl.
Get it
Another rare treat. When U dig, U dig deep! Much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteA little treasure . One more yet ! Thanks from Paris
ReplyDeleteBertie
Thank you SShip ... I've been switched on to WJackson over the past year ... Baron
ReplyDeleteGood to see you back and worth the wait!!Trudy Pitts too! Thanks a bunch!
ReplyDeleteWow! Thanks very much.
ReplyDeletegood to see you back...a great spot with Argo,
ReplyDeleteetc. truly filling a need. Thank you very much.
Bolt
thank you for this rare gem. It's a bit cheesy for my ears to but i'm very glad to hear it.
ReplyDeleteI love Willis Jackson, thank you! Great blog!
ReplyDeleteThanks, even though I have this album you gave me a chance to appreciate it all over. Bill Jennings guitar playing is incredable on this late 60s released lp. I guess it must have been recorded in 62 at the earliest because of California Sun? So that would make it one of the last recordings Bill Jennings played on with Willis. Shame he always sounded great with Gator-tail, great guitarist and very hard to find examples of his playing. thanks again Pete.
ReplyDelete