Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gildo Mahones - I'm Shooting High [Prestige]




Gildo Mahones - I'm Shooting High - Prestige/New Jazz NJ 8299 (PR 16004 on the label) - Original Prestige Pressing, Yellow Fireworks label, Mono

Gildo Mahones - Piano
George Tucker - Bass
Jimmy Smith - Drums

+
Leo Wright - Alto Sax on 7
Kenny Burrell - Guitar on 7
Larry Young - Organ on 5,6
Ozzie Beck - Vocal on 8

Recorded - [not listed on sleeve, but according to major Prestige discographies - February 4, 1963 (5+6), August 15, 1963 (7+8), September 3, 1963 (1+2+3+4), Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ]

Produced by Ozzie Cadena
Recording: Rudy Van Gelder ['Van Gelder' in the dead wax]
Cover Design/Photo - Don Schlitten

Released - Late 1963?

Here's a monster Prestige rarity and some unfinished business for this blog: Gildo Mahones' quite rare side I'm Shooting High! Last summer I had posted Mahones' 2 LP set 'The Great Gildo/Soulful Piano' of the regular 7000 Jazz series -  but this particular earlier effort had proved frustratingly elusive -until now!

4 comments: