Brother Jack McDuff - Steppin' Out - Prestige PR 7666 - Prestige Original Pressing, Stereo, Blue Trident Label
Brother Jack McDuff - Organ
Joe Dukes - Drums
Harold Ousley - Tenor Sax on A2
Pat Martino - Guitar on A2
Red Holloway - Tenor Sax on A3
George Benson - Guitar on A3
Harold Vick - Tenor Sax on B2
Grant Green - Guitar on B2
Kenny Burrell - Guitar on B1, B3
Orchestra Arranged & Conducted by Benny Golson (Side A)
Recorded - [not listed on sleeve, but according to major Prestige discographies - July 14, 1961, Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (B2), January 8, 1963, Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (B1), February 26, 1963, Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (B3), July 1964, NYC (A3), early 1965, Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (A1), February 1966, NYC (A2)]
Supervision - Lew Futterman (Side A) & Esmond Edwards (Side B)
Recording - Rudy Van Gelder + [uncredited]
Cover Design/Photo - Don Schlitten
Released - February 28, 1970
At first glance, this side seems to be a rather innocuous and pedestrian Brother Jack McDuff Prestige compilation. Released in 1970 (!), years after McDuff left the label, this side collects some interesting, but not essential outtakes from 1961-65.
But of course for McDuff fanatics and other jazz discographical fanatics-completists, this side is a monster rarity/holy grail.... as it contains "Moody McDuff", track B3, which is not available anywhere else, vinyl or CD. So, the Prestige digital Jack McDuff discography is now complete! For the record, "Moody McDuff" is a nice side, a change of pace blues with excellent playing by McDuff and Kenny Burrell (credited on the sleeve as KB Groovington!) Nice fidelity off the original Prestige stereo vinyl, late vintage before Fantasy took over.
Get it
Here`s one I`ve missed! Thanks for al lthis GOOD stuff!
ReplyDeleteFor all the gifts I have taken here:I cannot thank you enough -As someone with probably 7,000 CDs and a ton of 12" I came up in the 60s buying all the Chess blues never knowing all this killer Argo and Cadet and Prestige was in the racks next to all my folk & Blues & R&B & R&R-(Hey I was a California Surfer dude).You have brought so much into my musical life!! Truly incredible, all of this!- this is by far the best blog around, you sir have such good taste I am now searching out this stuff,the Argo Japans overseas for which my wife is gonna...kill me!- This has turned my music listening into pure joy- Freddie McCoy!-man!,John Young,Budd Johnson, John Wright,3 souls, can you believe I never heard Ray Bryant solo CDs! Lovin the Argos wow! Had the typical Jamal and Ramsey but these here are so much deeper and finer! These fantastic Shirley Scotts most I have never seen, King Fleming, Lorez, Gene Shaw, my God where has this music been? Why I never heard Morris Nanton MY GOD!These are the finest releases I have and it is beyond me that most were never re-issued in the US.(Typical but so sad) though prestige did a pretty great effort. Your writing is succinct accurate, the quality of rips is VERY good- & I so resonate with your leanings thank you kind sir again, before me and my box of hankies slobber outta here! Supreme gratitude ,humble awe.You Changed my musical life!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the post. I thought I had all the Brother recordings but I was wrong!
ReplyDelete¿Why the back cover are so grey? Don't you apply the white balance function in your digital camera when you take the picture?
One only thing to say: Fantastic albums! The better jazz that i did hear in all my life (I'm 64 years old...)
ReplyDeleteMany many thanks for your kindness.
Roberto - Brasil
Moody McDuff was well worth the effort, CHEERS!
ReplyDeleteI was looking since years for this one, Thank You very much!
ReplyDeleteSay, anyone else using winrar having probs extracting? I've never had this happen before. I wonder if it has something to do with 7-zip being used to compress original file.
ReplyDeleteLove your blog and thank you!
ReplyDeleteI am having the same problems as Pete. For this and the most recent 2 downloads as well, the file downloads as a .txt file that I can't open... :-(
Many many thanks for this wonderful outtakes. And for the others as well
ReplyDeletejazzrealities
See jazzrealities.blogspot.com